Newcastle Cottages, County Wicklow, Ireland
Self Catering Holiday Rental Accommodation in Newcastle
The village of Newcastle is half a mile from the castle and church where it was originally located. Newcastle takes its name from the Castle, built by the Normans on an earlier Irish fortification in the territory of the O’Byrne’s. Constructed in the period between 1177 and 1184 by Hugh de Lacy then governor of Ireland under Henry II, the Castle called Newcastle Mackynegan, became a major stronghold in the outer fortifications of the Pale. Even so it was attacked and occupied at intervals by the Wicklow Irish chieftains the O’Tooles and the O’Byrnes.
The current ruin on the site is not that of the castle which was destroyed in the 1500’s but of a building which was erected on the site. The Castle was the county seat and administrative centre until the shiring of Wicklow county in the 1500’s when it moved to Wicklow Town after the castle was again raided.
No cottages currently available